Sunday, June 14, 2015

Crowd Pleaser Sausage Rolls

Back in the 90's I lived with a friend, Cheryl, and her then partner Chris.  It was just for a few months while I was looking for a permanent home of my own. Cheryl and I got on like a house on fire and she taught me how to make her mum's sausage roll recipe - still to this day I make it the same way.  It's always a crowd pleaser; even our close friends get a bit excited when they see them!

So I dedicate this post to Cheryl.  We lost contact many years ago due to the fact there was no Facebook back then, plus my laziness to write probably got in the way.  I hope she is happy and well wherever she is :)

Why do I love these so much?  They're packed with veg and the kids love them!  Win-win!!

Recipe after photo....




Crowd Pleaser Sausage Rolls


  • 500g sausages.
  • 500g vegetables cut into pieces - combination of swede, parsnip, onion, carrots.
  • 1 clove garlic.
  • 2 tbs tomato paste.
  • 1 egg.
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I use Herbemare).
  • 4-6 sheets of puff pastry depending on how thick you make your sausage rolls. I use the frozen square sheets from supermarket. 
  • Extra egg for pasty wash.
  • Sesame seeds (optional).


Thermomix Instructions

Preheat oven to 220C, prepare 3 baking trays with bake paper.
Blitz garlic, speed 7 for 3 sec.
Add vegetables, speed 7 for 15 sec.
Remove skin from sausage meat and add meat to bowl with veg.  Add other ingredients.  Mix reverse speed 6 for 20-30 sec, or until combined.  It may help to put the Thermomix spatula in the hole to keep the mixture moving.

Defrost pastry and cut the sheets in half so that you have 2 rectangles.  Place the sausage meat along the rectangle sheets of pastry and roll into a log shape.  Cut the logs into desired lengths - I make 4 small sausage rolls per log.  Brush on the egg wash (break the extra egg into a bowl and mix with a fork), sprinkle sesame seeds if using, and pierce a hole in each sausage roll (this allows steam to escape while cooking).  Place on a tray and bake until golden brown (approximately 20 min).

Note:  You can use any vegetable that doesn't contain too much water, I'd steer clear of zucchinis, but pumpkin and sweet potato would work well.






No comments:

Post a Comment